|By Jim Bruene on December 24, 2007 10:00 AM | Comments|
In our annual Christmas/New Years survey of bank websites (note 1), we once again find little use of holiday themes, especially among the very largest. Scrooge would be pleased with the homepages of the top four: Citi, BofA, Wachovia, and Chase which have no holiday images or messages.
Wells Fargo is the only top-5 bank with a holiday message. The bank wishes its customers Happy Holidays (see below) in a top-of-the-page banner rotating with two other messages: a savings promotion that also uses holiday imagery (below) and an investments banner (not shown).
However, this year there is one top-20 bank fully embracing the holiday spirit. ING Direct homepage (screenshot above, download flash in note 2, below) features a full-screen animation that first strings Happy Holidays across the page followed by the ING Direct orange ball rolling across the screen, bumping into the tree trunk, and dumping a load of snow on top. It's very well done.
Also, honorable mentions to:
- Fifth Third and its $10,000 holiday sweeps
- Regions Bank, which is running a Toys for Tots banner across the top
- PNC with its annual tongue-in-cheek Christmas Price Index
Additionally, WaMu and Key Bank use winter imagery. And HSBC, US Bank, SunTrust, BB&T and Citizens are all running small banners for prepaid gift cards.
HSBC SunTrust US Bank
1. Websites observed at 9 AM Pacific Time, Dec. 24, from a Seattle IP address.
2. View the ING Direct holiday animation (here)
Most Recent Posts:
- Announcing FinovateEurope 2015 (February 10-11 in London) -- Buy your ticket early to save big and lock in your seat! - May 14, 2014
- New OBR Published: Mobile Account Opening - May 13, 2014
- FinovateSpring 2014 Best of Show Winners - May 01, 2014