|By Jim Bruene on January 9, 2009 7:12 AM | Comments|
If you think your 2008 was stressful, imagine having to shut down for an extended and unknown period (it turned out to be 6 months) just 10 months after launch. Then spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on SEC paperwork that your major competitor avoided (temporarily it turns out), all the while watching that same competitor take your market share while you keep your mouth shut via SEC mandate.
That was Lending Club's year. But unlike so many horror stories of the past year, this one has a happy ending, at least so far. Not only did Lending Club reopen for business Oct. 14 at our Finovate conference (demo video here), within weeks they had already moved ahead of last year's origination pace (note 1).
As you can see in the table below, Dec. 2008 was substantially ahead of Dec. 2007 in all measures except average loan size and approval rate, which dropped a full 2 points:
- Number of applications increased by 78%
- Number of approved loans increased by 43%
- Dollars originated increased by 29%
- Average loan size approved declined by $1,000 (9.4%)
- Overall approval rate was 8.5% last month compared to just over 10% a year ago
Table: Lending Club loan origination results: Dec 2008 vs. Dec 2007
|Number of loans originated||238||167||+ 71||43%|
|Dollars originated||$2.28 mil||$1.77 mil||+ $0.5 mil||29%|
|Number of loan applications||2,798||1,575||+ 1,223||78%|
|Dollar value of all applications||$24.2 mil||$14.4 mil||+ $9.8 mil||68%|
|Average loan size approved||$9,600||$10,600||($1,000)||(9.4%)|
|Average loan size declined||$8,600||$9,000||($400)||(0.4%)|
|Site traffic (unique visitors)||78,000||58,000||20,000||35%|
Source: Loan volume from Lending Club, site traffic from Compete, calculations by Online Banking Report, 8 Jan 2009
Here's the monthly origination chart (in US Dollars) courtesy of LendingClubStats.com who compiled the figures from data provided by Lending Club.
Source: LendingClubStats.com, 8 Jan 2009
Also, site traffic is up 35% year over year according to Compete.
Source: Compete, 9 Jan 2009
1. The number/dollars of loans originated and applied for at Lending Club in Oct. 2008, Nov. 2008, and Dec. 2008 were all higher than the respective months in 2007.
2. For more info on the market, see our Online Banking Report on P2P Lending.
Most Recent Posts:
- Treating Loan Applicants with Respect - Oct 23, 2014
- Apple Pay Works (Duh), But it's No Starbucks (Yet) - Oct 21, 2014
- Banks Gear Up (or not) for Upcoming Apple Pay Release - Oct 14, 2014