|By Jim Bruene on March 19, 2012 6:10 PM | Comments (1)|
As mobile banking approaches its fourth birthday (note 1), we are starting to see the more interesting "version 2.0" builds from the major players. Last week, we looked at Commonwealth Bank's Simple Balance, with its pull-down balance option.
In response to that post, several readers pointed out the recently launched app from Westpac New Zealand unit. The app, Cash Tank, is an elegant solution to the same need. It's a full standalone app that does just one thing, shows the balance in the selected account on a "fuel gauge" (see first screenshot below).
Users set their own high and low settings so the gauge could show empty when there is still a cash cushion remaining. And users have the option of showing the actual dollar amount available or simply relying on the gauge reading for more privacy. The Cash Tank can show the balance from just one account.
Under the gauge is a link to the bank's mobile website where users must log in to conduct transaction. The bank does not currently offer a full-featured mobile app in New Zealand (note 2).
The app is available for iPhone and Android.
Update Mar 20: We are awarding Westpac an OBR Best of the Web for its Cash Tank and Impulse Saver apps (Mar 21 post).
Update Mar 21: I neglected to mention that Southern Bancorp launched a no-login savings balance app a year ago called "Shake to Bank."
Cash Tank from Westpac NZ is a standalone mobile gauge to your account balance (link)
Cash Tank is featured on the Westpac NZ homepage (21 Mar 2012)
1. The dawn of the industry, at least in the United States, was in July 2008 when Apple opened the iPhone to third-party apps. There were huge strides made around the globe, e.g. M-Pesa, much earlier. But we're referring here to the modern smartphone-based services.
2. A full-featured mobile banking app has been available to Westpac Australia customers since Dec 2008. But it does not offer the read-only Cash Tank option.
Most Recent Posts:
- Announcing FinovateEurope 2015 (February 10-11 in London) -- Buy your ticket early to save big and lock in your seat! - May 14, 2014
- New OBR Published: Mobile Account Opening - May 13, 2014
- FinovateSpring 2014 Best of Show Winners - May 01, 2014